Roasted Veggies and Potato Mash with Toasted Pecans
This recipe rolls two favorite fall dishes – mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables – into one delicious side. Creamy mashed potatoes are topped with celery, potatoes, carrots, red onion and crunchy, herbed pecans for a dish filled with robust flavors and textures.
- For the potato mash:
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cream
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- For the roasted veggies:
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4 wedges
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For the toasted pecan topping:
- 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted and finely minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley or herb of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized pot, combine potatoes with salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook potatoes until they are tender and easily break apart.
- Meanwhile, combine the chopped vegetables, minced garlic, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Toss to evenly coat the vegetables.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and pour the vegetables onto the sheet. Roast in oven for 15 minutes. Gently stir and roast another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- While vegetables are roasting, drain cooked potatoes from the water, place in a large mixing bowl and add butter, 1 teaspoon salt, cream and black pepper to taste. Using a potato masher or heavy duty whisk (for an extra smooth mash, use a stand mixer or a food processor), mash or whip the potatoes until smooth. Add 2 eggs and continue whipping until fully combined.
- Butter a 9-inch casserole or baking dish. Pour the mashed potato mixture into the dish. Evenly distribute the roasted vegetables on top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are set.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Before serving, top with chopped herbs and pecans.