Q: HOW DO YOU STORE PECANS?
Refrigerator - Pecans will last for six months if stored in the refrigerator. Make sure they are in a Ziploc bag and that you store them in the coolest part of your refrigerator. Be sure that the bag is sealed to ensure freshness and quality.
Freezer - Pecans can last for one year if stored in the freezer. Make sure they are in a Freezer Ziploc bag. Just simply take 1 pound out at a time and let them thaw before you use them.
Q: WHAT VITAMINS AND MINERALS ARE FOUND IN PECANS?
Q: WHY ARE MOST PECANS NOT ORGANIC?
- Pecans trees (Carya illinoinensis) grow natively in Texas and there is only a minimal need for spray.
- San Saba, TX ("The Pecan Capital of the World") is a dryer climate requiring less spray than other regions of the U.S.
- In most regions, if not sprayed, the vast majority of the crop would be lost.
- Less than 5% of pecan orchards are organic for these reasons.
- Only the hull is sprayed... the hull surrounds the pecan shell.
- Pecans have a double layer protection. The meat is protected by a hard pecan shell. The pecan shell is then protected by the exterior pecan hull.
- Because of this protection, it is known that the spray is not harming the consumer.
Q: SOME PECANS ARE SOFTER THAN PECANS I AM USED TO EATING. ARE THEY STALE?
A fresh pecan is softer than most nuts because it is full of high nutrient oil. They are not stale, they are fresh. Also, this soft texture makes them great for breakfast and dessert toppings.
Q: I HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY. DO YOU PROCESS ANY OTHER NUTS AT YOUR COMMERCIAL KITCHEN?
If you have a peanut or walnut allergy, check with you doctor to see if you can try pecans. Millican Pecan is one of the very few companies that ONLY processes pecans... no other nuts! Doctors nationwide refer patients to Millican Pecan for this reason.
Q: WHY SHOULD I BUY FRESH PECANS FROM THE MILLICAN ORCHARDS VERSUS BUYING PECANS AT MY GROCERY STORE?