Squash, Pecan and Sausage Stuffing
Naturally sweet pecans, Italian sausage and fall squash add rich flavors and textures to this herbed stuffing recipe. This unique twist on a traditional dish is sure to be a hit at your holiday table.
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces herb seasoned cubed stuffing
- 2 cups chopped and oven-roasted squash of your choice (Kabocha, Spaghetti, Acorn, etc.), or more if desired
- 1/2 bunch fresh herbs of your choice, or more if desired
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Have ready one buttered 9 x 13 inch casserole dish or baking pan.
- In a large skillet, brown Italian sausage, breaking it up into crumbles. Drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked sausage, sautéed onion mixture, stuffing cubes, roasted squash, toasted pecans and fresh herbs.
- Add the melted butter and broth and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.