The ketogenic diet or simply keto is a popular diet trend nowadays. People on this diet lower their carb intake and increase their intake of healthy fats with moderate protein intake. Some research has shown that this diet helps in weight loss, reducing the risk of heart disease, Alzheimer's disease and Type 2 diabetes. Nuts, which are full of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, protein, are also a good source of healthy fats and low carbs, thus they form part of keto-friendly snacks and meals. Some nuts have more carbs than the recommended daily intake for people on a ketogenic diet, thus they should be consumed in moderation. What are the best nuts ketogentic diets?
What Nuts are Best for Ketogenic Diet?
Pecans halves and chopped pecan pieces are ideal for people on a ketogenic diet and it can be enjoyed as a snack when roasted, crushed or pecan pie meal. With a protein content of 20g and net carbs of 1g per one ounce of serving, this delicious nut has the healthy fats that may help regulate insulin levels. The oleic acid in pecans also helps in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The nuts also help in weight loss thus it’s helpful for people on a keto diet.
- Walnuts One ounce of walnuts contains 2g of net carbs and 18g of proteins. The fats in these nuts lower the blood pressure and the “bad cholesterol”. Walnuts can be enjoyed on low-carb desserts, as a salad or as a snack. The nuts also aid in weight loss, which is essential for people on a keto diet.
- Macadamia nuts An ounce of macadamia nuts contains 2g net carbs, 21g of proteins. The nuts can be enjoyed as a snack or keto-friendly butter or macadamia nut milk. Macadamia nuts also increase the HDL levels while reducing LDL. The nuts also have monounsaturated fatty acids which have been shown to improve the cholesterol levels and reduce insulin resistance thus it promotes a healthy heart. Magnesium, potassium in the nuts also act as anti-inflammatory agents and aid in weight loss too.
- Brazil nuts One ounce of Brazil nuts contains 1g of net carbs and 19g fats. According to some research, people following the keto diet experience selenium deficiency, thus Brazil nuts which are rich in selenium is essential. Eating too much of foods rich in selenium has negative health effects thus they should be eaten in consideration.
- Hazelnuts With 2g of net carbs and 17g of fat, these nuts can reduce the risk of heart disease due to the vitamin E present in the nuts. They also reduce LDL levels thus promoting a healthy heart.
Nuts to Eat in Moderation
- Cashew nuts Cashews are low in fats (12g) and high in carbs (8g), which is not good for people on keto thus they should be eaten in moderation.
- Almonds With about 6g of carbs and about 14g of fat, almonds should also be eaten in moderation.
- Pine nuts Pine nuts have 19g of fat, and 3g of net carbs, the nuts are should also be consumed in moderation.
Nuts are very nutritious and delicious as well. Many enjoy them as snacks, or in desserts, added in salads. It is important to take note of the high calories thus the nuts have when eating them.
Buy pecans on sale