Roasting deepens the flavor and crispness of pecans. It’s easy to do in the oven with a dash of sea salt and a splash olive oil. Enjoy as a snack or prep ahead for topping salads in a range of recipes.
- 2 cups raw pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or pecan oil
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven. In a heat proof bowl, toss the warm pecans with the olive oil, and sea salt, crushing the larger salt grains with your fingers as you sprinkle.
- Return the pecans to the tray in a single layer and bake another 20 minutes or until slightly browned and dry. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet. Store pecans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to nine months or in the freezer for up to two years. Pecans can be thawed and frozen repeatedly during the two-year freezing period without loss of flavor or texture.