Everett Smith, Pecan Grower, Brazoria, Texas and J. M. Loveless, Pecan Groker, Rosharon, Texas
The Stuart pecan is the best general purpose pecan for the Gulf Coast Area for the following reasons:
Three other varieties that are being tested appear promising but have not been proven.
- It resists diseases; especially scab, better than other varieties.
- It fills out more uniformly than competitive varieties.
- Stuart trees bear fairly well but do not overbear.
- The trees are well shaped and strong which enables them to withstand heavy winds sometimes experienced on the Gulf Coast.
- There is a good market for Stuart nuts both in the retail and wholesale trade.