Creamy Chopped Chickpea Pecan Salad
Pecans add a nutrient-dense crunch to this sweet and tangy salad. Serve it as a side dish or a main, or scoop it into endive lettuce wraps for a finger food fit for entertaining.
- For the salad:
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apple , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup currants (or other dried fruit, chopped if necessary)
- 3 green onions, tops only, thinly sliced
- For the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons vegan or other mayonnaise of choice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped, fresh or dried dill or parsley (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic or onion powder (optional)
- To make the dressing: whisk all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Toss them together with the dressing, mix well, and serve or store. Salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.