Turkey Sausage Rolls with Pecans and Cranberry Sauce
Pecans add a unique spin on a classic South African recipe that’s perfect for the holiday party season. The bite-sized finger foods can be dipped in an easy homemade cranberry sauce for a filling and flavorful appetizer.
- For the Turkey Sausage Rolls:
- 5 ounces raw pecan halves
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4-6 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 whole or chopped pecans for topping
- Fresh cranberry sauce (to serve)
- For the Fresh Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- To make the Turkey Sausage Rolls: Preheat your oven to 400F (220C) and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place pecans, onion, garlic, sage, parsley and spices in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Pulse until it resembles a fine crumble, then place into a medium bowl. Add turkey breakfast sausage and gently mix with a fork until everything is combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place puff pastry sheets on a clean surface and roll each until they are about ⅛ -inch thick. Turn pastry on its side so that you’re facing the widest edge. Divide the sausage mixture into 6 equal portions and form logs. Place three logs on each rectangle, with enough pastry on each side to wrap them completely with the seams facing down.
- Divide each log into eight equal portions and cut using a serrated knife. Place on a lined baking sheet and brush with eggwash, placing chopped or a whole pecan on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and the meat is cooked, tenting with foil after 15 minutes to prevent the pecans from getting too dark. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Can be made ahead and cooked from frozen, add 10 minutes to your cook time.
- To make the Cranberry Sauce: Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer until thickened. Serve warm.