Pecan Milk Breakfast Porridge
Slightly sweet and surprisingly simple, homemade pecan milk is combined with old fashioned oats, quinoa, tart cherries, a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon to create a hearty and well-balanced Pecan Milk Breakfast Porridge.
- 3 cups Pecan Milk, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Fresh berries, sliced banana and pecan halves for garnish
- Pecan Milk:
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Make the Pecan Milk: Place pecans in medium bowl; top with 4 cups water. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours. Drain and rinse pecans; discard soaking water. Place pecans in blender; add 2 1/2 cups very hot tap water. Blend on high speed 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy. Add salt and maple syrup, if using; blend 30 seconds to combine. Transfer pecan milk to clean jar; cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Makes about 3 1/2 cups milk.
- In medium saucepot, heat 3 cups pecan milk to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 13 to 15 minutes or until quinoa is almost tender; stirring occasionally.
- Stir in oats; cook 3 minutes longer or until oats and quinoa are tender; stirring frequently. If mixture gets too thick, stir in water 2 tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is reached. Stir in cherries, if using, and vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Divide porridge between 4 bowls. Serve garnished with berries, banana and pecan halves. Drizzle with extra pecan milk.