Pecan Smoked Trout Spread Recipe
This trout spread can be added to top a crostini or any type of cracker.
- 2 tablespoon pecan meal
- 1/2 pound whole pecans, in-shell for smoke, soaked thoroughly in water and drained
- 1 trout, cleaned, scaled and filleted
- Salt and sugar for cure (50:50 ratio)
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon reserved lemon (or lemon zest)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 6 dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Generously season trout filets with 50:50 salt/sugar mixture and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Rinse fillets and place on a hot smoke fire on grill using the in-shell pecans as the smoke source. Cool.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until combined. Chill.
- Serve on crostini with herb salad.