Savory Pecan and Rosemary Granola Bars
Pecans combine with dates, coconut, fresh rosemary and a little hot sauce for a savory grab-and-go snack.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease the side of a roughly 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish or baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper, making the sheet a little wider than the pan so that some of the paper hangs off either side of the pan (this will make the bars easier to remove from the pan, later).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chopped raw pecans, whole raw pecans, chopped dates, coconut flakes, flax seeds, fresh rosemary, and sea salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, dark brown sugar, nut butter, and hot sauce until smooth. Add the honey mixture to the pecan mixture in three increments, stirring well between each addition, until the honey mixture evenly coats the pecan mixture.
- Empty the mixture into the prepared pan and spread out in an even layer. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the granola bar mixture and press down on it to compact it into a solid single layer. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and place the pan in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool completely to room temperature. To make them easier to cut and store, I recommend placing the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the sheet of granola bars from the pan by lifting the overhanging parchment paper. Place the sheet of granola bars on a cutting board and cut into 20 evenly-sized granola bars. Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of each one and wrap each granola bar in plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, or for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.