Toasted Pecan and Mushroom Farro Risotto
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or pecan oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 pound cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (substitute low-sodium vegetable broth, if preferred)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups stemmed, chopped hearty greens, such as kale, collards, or chard
- 1 small chunk Pecorino or Parmesan cheese (about 2 tablespoons) to grate over the top
- Toast the pecans*: Set the Instant Pot to the “Saute” setting. Once it’s hot, add the pecans and toast 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until fragrant and nicely browned. Transfer to a cutting board, let cool, and chop. (if you don’t have an instant pot, see stovetop instructions in recipe notes)
- Make the farro**: Return the Instant Pot to the “Sauté” setting. When the pot is warm, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Sauté until tender and translucent, 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until slightly soft, 2 minutes. Add the wine, farro, and thyme, stir, and leave to simmer until most of the liquid has absorbed, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Press “Cancel.”
- Add 3 cups of broth, salt, and pepper and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Set to “Manual” on High for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, allow a natural release for 10 minutes. Open the vent to release any remaining steam. Remove the lid, stir in the greens, return the lid, and leave it for 4 minutes so the greens wilt.
- Lift the lid and stir the risotto. The risotto should be tender and just a bit brothy. Add more broth, if needed and know that the farro will continue to absorb liquid as it sits. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon into serving bowls and divide the pecans over the top. Grate a generous shower of Pecorino over the top and serve.
*Alternatively, you can roast the pecans in a 350 degrees F. oven or toaster oven for 10 minutes.
**If you don’t have an Instant Pot, sauté everything in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Once you add the broth, bring it to a simmer, cover with a lid, and simmer until the farro is tender, roughly 25 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more broth (or water) if the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, add the kale, stir, and cover until the greens are tender.