Pecan, Grape, and Pickled Onion Flatbread
There’s no need for delivery. Topped with toasted pecans, juicy grape slices and pickled onions, this naan pizza is a fresh, vegetarian-friendly alternative that will surely satisfy everyone’s pizza cravings, kids and adults alike.
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 small bunch black or red grapes (about 15 grapes)
- 1 handful of pickled onions (about 1/2 cup or to taste) or 1/4 small red onion
- 4 naan breads
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pickled Onions:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- If using, at least one hour before serving, make the pickled onions. (Alternatively, use fresh red onion; see below)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roughly break apart the pecans with your hands. Place them in a small skillet, then heat over low heat for 2 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove from the heat.
- Slice the grapes in half.
- If using red onion, thinly slice the red onion. If desired, rinse the sliced under cold water and then drain (this helps to remove some of the bite).
- Place naan directly on the oven grate and pre-bake 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the naan from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Top each naan with about 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, a thin grating of Pecorino cheese, toasted pecans, grapes, and Pickled Onions. Garnish with thyme leaves (pull off leaves and tender stems over the pizza) and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour, more if possible. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Can be made ahead up to 2 weeks. Drain onions before using.