Asian Lettuce Wraps
These Asian lettuce wraps are fresh and full of flavor. Quick and easy to make and infused with toasted pecan meal and oils, these wraps are the perfect addition to a weeknight menu.
- Lettuce Wraps:
- 1/2 cup pecan meal, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pecan oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely minced or 2 tablespoons grated lemon or lime zest
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 red Fresno or Serrano chili pepper, seeded
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons demerara or granulated sugar
- 1 pound ground lamb, turkey, pork or beef
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Pecan pieces, toasted
- Sliced cucumbers
- Julienned carrots
- Lime wedges
- Mint sprigs
- Cilantro sprigs
- Thinly sliced chili peppers
- In a food processor, pulse the lemongrass and garlic until finely chopped. Add the cilantro, shallot and chili pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the pecan oil over high heat. Add lamb to the skillet and cook until meat is cooked through and crispy, about 15 minutes. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl and let come to room temperature.
- In the same skillet, cook the lemongrass mixture, stirring often, until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Toss together the cooked lamb, lemongrass mixture and the toasted pecan meal and lime dressing until well incorporated.
- To serve, place 2 tablespoons of lamb mixture onto a Bibb lettuce leaf. Top with your favorite Garnish.