German Chocolate and Pecan Energy Bites
These German chocolate energy bites are simple to make while packing some serious flavor for a wholesome on-the-go snack.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 10 pitted medjool dates (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
- 2 tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Toast coconut if you’d like: preheat oven to 350 degrees F., spread shredded coconut onto a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until coconut is golden in color. Be sure to watch the coconut closely because it has the tendency to burn easily.
- Place all ingredients (dates, pecans, coconut, protein powder, cacao powder and oats) into the food processor and pulse until everything is combined and pecans are the size of crumb. Add vanilla and sea salt and pulse once more. If the dough seems a little dry, add a little water, one 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Scoop dough from food processor and form into small balls using your hands.
- Place balls into a sealed storage container and store in the fridge (for about a week) or the freezer (for 1 to 2 months). Makes 16 balls, serving size: 2 balls per person.