Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pecan Basil Pesto
Think veggies are a boring side dish? Think twice with these grilled cauliflower steaks with pecan pesto, perfect for backyard barbecues this summer.
- 2 heads of cauliflower, cut into 8 1-inch cauliflower steaks
- 1 tablespoon pecan oil, avocado oil, or olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the pesto:*
- 2 cups fresh packed basil
- 1/4 cup raw pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup pecan oil or olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 375 to 400 degrees F.
- Brush both sides of cauliflower steaks with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Gently place seasoned cauliflower steaks on grill. Grill each side for 4 minutes, gently flipping with a spatula.
- Remove cauliflower steaks from grill and let rest.
- Make the pesto: in a food processor, pulse the ingredients for pesto: basil, raw pecans, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon zest until the basil is finely chopped. Slowly add in the olive oil and combine to blend until combined.
- Transfer pesto to a bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- To serve, top cauliflower steaks with pesto.
*You can also use your favorite store-bought pesto