Sheet Pan Eggs with Pecan Breakfast "Sausage"
This vegetarian version uses seasoned ground pecans as a nutritious plant-based option for "meat." Simply add eggs and spinach for a simple breakfast dish that can be prepped ahead, feeds a crowd and requires minimal clean-up.
- Pecan Breakfast Sausage
- 1 cup raw pecan halves (or lightly toasted)
- 1 teaspoon pecan oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or low sodium tamari)
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Sheet Pan Eggs
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup fat free or lowfat milk
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Make the pecan breakfast “sausage:” In a pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, coconut aminos, herbs and spices (do not add pecans yet). Cook about 4 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add pecans and onion mixture to food processor and pulse until consistency of ground beef, about 8 to 10 pulses. Makes 1 cup pecan “sausage.”
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add pecan “sausage” and spinach to eggs and stir. Lightly spray a non-stick 12×17 sheet pan with cooking spray. Pour egg mixture onto prepared pan. Place in oven at 325 degrees F. for 18 to 20 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked. Serve immediately.