Thai Red Curry Pecan Soup
This spicy red curry soup pairs pecans with authentic Thai flavors with a kick of heat.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon pecan oil or clarified butter
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano green chile, minced
- 3 tablespoons young ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, minced and seeded
- 6 head-on 16/20 count shrimp, chopped
- 1 lime, halved
- Heat pecan oil or clarified butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, chile, ginger and pecan pieces. Sweat, stirring until tender.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha to vegetables. Toast and stir.
- Add coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Add butternut squash. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree in batches in blender and return to pot.
- Return to simmer, then turn off heat.
- Add shrimp. Let sit for five minutes.
- Stir in juice of one lime half.
- Serve into individual bowls.
- In another bowl, combine 1 tablespoon Sriracha, 1 tablespoon pecan oil or clarified butter and the juice from the other lime half.
- Stir until well combined, and use to garnish individual bowls of soup.