Pecan Spelt Risotto
This phenomenally flavorful Pecan Spelt Risotto perfectly pairs with a hearty entree like steak or chicken.
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 2 cups Pecan Milk
- 1/4 cup Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 cup spelt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup aged fontina, grated
- 1 cup water
- Pecan Milk:
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 3 cups water
- Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced 3/4-inch
- 2 tablespoons pecan oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan pieces
- Bring cheeses to room temperature.
- Toast pecan pieces in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Combine roasted squash and pecans and set aside.
- Place water in sauté pan and cook spelt for 1.5 hours on low heat, with the pan covered.
- Drain water from spelt.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauté pan until the risotto is hot and creamy.
- Soak pecan pieces in water for 24 hours.
- Blend in blender.
- Strain through very fine cheesecloth, and keep refrigerated.
Roasted Butternut Squash:
- Toss butternut squash in pecan oil with salt and pepper.
- Place on sheet pan, and roast at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-18 minutes until soft.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Place butternut squash in mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.