Spicy Pecan Italian “Sausage”
Ground pecans and season them with herbs and spices to create a plant-based “meat” alternative. Use this spicy Italian “sausage” it on a flatbread, pizza, soup and more. You can also use different seasonings and use it on tacos or in a breakfast casserole.
- 1 teaspoon pecan oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup raw pecan halves (or lightly toasted)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, fennel seed, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, sea salt, and red pepper flakes (do not add pecans or vinegar yet). Cook 4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add pecans, red wine vinegar, and onion mixture to food processor and pulse until consistency of ground pork, about 8 to 10 pulses. Makes 1 cup pecan “sausage”. Add to pasta, in a soup or on a flatbread or pizza.